Thursday, October 09, 2008

Fix for 332 earpiece quite problem




An old GPO engineers maintenance trick for fixing the problem of the earpiece being quite on an early Bakelite 332 telephone is as follows:

1) Unscrew the Bakelite earpiece (anticlockwise)









2) Slide the metal diaphragm (thin metal disk) sideways off the earpiece magnets (make a note of which way round it is)





3) Make sure the two screws either side of the magnet are tight.



4) Spray the metal diaphragm (both sides) with a small amount of WD40 and wipe off with a piece of paper kitchen towel.
5) Replace the metal diaphragm (the opposite side up to the way it was removed) by sliding it sideways back onto the magnetic coils.
6) Screw the Bakelite earpiece back on.

Then try the telephone again and see if this improves the sound (works about 50% of the time).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please help. I have this problem. outgoing = fine, bell ringer = fine, but incoming sound quieter than normal. It's definitely Not a fault within the receiver, as I have tried it in another 332, and it works perfectly well. I have Wired the phone as shown on many diagrams, put in straps where they should be, tried removing them, swapping them,.. everything, but this problem persists. I have tried swapping the handset receiver wires in phone, and it does become loud, but then I lose mic, I don't really know what to do next. It is a red 332, and I have tried everything I can think of to rectify this, without success. I really need help from someone who really knows why the incoming speech isn't as loud as it should be. It is as if it is going through some resistor maybe, but I can't understand it. thanks.

Fix for a Slow dial on 746 Telephones and 706 Telephones

Vintage 746 telephone and 706 telephone dials are lovely high quality mechanical devices (similar in many ways to antique clocks) however be...